Wednesday, February 25, 2009

It Ain't Happening to Me TWICE!

Hi hi!
Weather here in Chicago is definitely getting better. It's 37F today! How long will it stay? I don't know. There is an simile that says 'as unpredictable as the weather'. Chicago weather has been living up to it's standard, if you ask me.

I decided to make good use of this nice weather, so I stepped out of my dungeon. =p

As I was walking to Norris University Center for a cup of my favorite Starbucks White Mocha, a lady in red approached me. Let's call her Little Red Riding Hood, shall we? At that moment, I was on the phone with Dennis, trying to get his lazy bum up to enjoy a cup of coffee with me on this fine day. It is 3pm and he is still on his bed! How can you let a friend just waste away a rare fine day like this? A little detour, now back to Little Red Riding Hood. This was what she said as she came closer to me:

Little Red Riding Hood: Excuse me, I do not want to interupt you on the phone, but I got off work early today and my...

Right then, a girl came running up to Little Red Riding Hood, shortly followed by a guy, presumably her boyfriend. I would think she is a Freshman. So let's call her Freshman and him, Prince Charming. At least HER prince charming.

Freshman: Oh, you needed money don't you?

Prince charming then pulls out a LV wallet from his pocket and starts taking out cash.

At that point, I decided that I should just walk away. Mind you, all this time I was still on the phone with the lazy bum, Dennis. Obviously, lazy bum could not be bothered on what was happening on the other end of the phone. For all I know, maybe he has already drifted back into la-la-land.

Well, don't start being judgemental now. I am not trying to tell you that I am some kinda inconsiderate, selfish *****. In fact, that was just the beginning of my story.

See, my story goes back to 2 weeks ago.

*Flashback*

It was 2:50 pm on a Wednesday and I was frantically walking along Sheridan Road, trying be in class on time. Right then, a lady in red approched me. Let's call her Lady in Red. I stopped as I realized Lady in Red wanted to tell me something.

Lady in Red: Excuse me, I work at norris and I am not feeling well today. My employer let me off work early but I do not have money to take the bus. Can I borrow 2.25 dollars to take the bus back home? I work at the pizza place and I will give you a slice of pizza in return.

Me: I'm sorry, I don't have money. (Some what cold-hearted of me)

At that time, all I had with me was a 21 dollars, in a 20 dollar denomination and a 1 dollar denomination. There was no way that I will give her my 20 dollars because she wouldn't have change anyways. I am not that generous as I am just a college student, where 20 dollars would equal to 2 meals or 5 Starbucks Tall White Mocha.

After saying that, I walked away and throughout my walk to class, I felt bad. I pity her as I noticed she was clutching her bus transit card while talking to me, a sign that she was really gonna take the bus. Guilt came pouring in, 'Why didn't I just give her the 1 dollar that I have?', 'What if she was really sick?'. I felt like an a****** for not giving her the 1 dollar that I have.

*End of Flashback*

Fastforward to today.

By now, I guess you have realized that Lady in Red and Little Red Riding Hood is THE SAME PERSON!

Well, obviously Little Red Riding Hood didn't realize that she once asked me for bus fare and I turned her down. Both times, she was holding her bus transit card. Both times, using the same excuse. How would anyone in the right mind fall for that? Here are my reasoning:

1/ If she realy was sick, and she doesn't have money, she could have walked back to her workplace, which is very near, and asked her co-workers, if not her supervisor, for money. Instead of asking random people on the street.

2/ How many times can you fall sick in a span of 2 weeks? Well, I would not say much about this. Maybe she is really that weak and falls sick very often. I am not her doctor, so I wouldn't know.
This time around, I didn't feel bad for not giving her money. I was in disbelieve as I walked away realizing that she was able to pull this stunt all this while and at the same area. On top of that, asking me twice! Well, Little Red Riding Hood, I remember that you were once Lady in Red. I will not be fooled twice.

While waiting in line for my coffee, I saw Prince Charming and Freshman. Their face were glowing from the good deed they (thought) had done. If they were in my shoes, would they feel the same?


That's the end of my story and cup of coffee. Would the world be a better place if everyone is naive and innocent?

1 comment:

  1. sometimes its not bout bein naive n innocent... its bout bein smart n protective of urself... the world is not like it used 2 b....

    ReplyDelete